Sunday, August 15, 2010

sunday funday

its been a long sunday.
i am super tired
from such a busy week.

when we took my brother to orientation
and to help my parents out this weekend
while moving him in
we dropped my grandmother
off with her sister in gainesville
so she could spend some time with her
mom and i drove to gainesville today
to pick up my grandmother
we got lost going
AND coming.
its incredibly ridiculous
how BAD i am with directions
i am one of those people
who if they take a right into somewhere
they take a right out
which, of course, is the wrong way out.
i have asked santa for a gps this Christmas.
i think its time i broke down and got one.
or who knows where i may end up one day.

being in the car a total of
15+ hours this week
i have been able to get some
serious music time in
my mom asked me who my favorite band was
its hard for me to answer
because if you saw how random my ipod was
you would be so confused
at what music it is that i actually like.
it is such a random assortment of music
mainly because i dont care who sings it
or what genre it is or how poppy
or rocky or classically it is
if i like it, i like it.

after thinking for a bit
i decided it is a close call between
jack johnson
and kings of leon.

i can listen to their songs
all day long
no matter what mood i am in

my favorite jack johnson song is


 i've said before that
i am a sucker for a good quote
well, i'm even weaker in the knees
for good song lyrics
and jack's songs are pumped full of
awesome quotations
here are the lyrics to "if i had eyes"

If I had eyes in the back of my head

I would have told you that
You looked good
As I walked away

If you could've tried to trust the hand that fed
You would've never been hungry
But you never really be

The more of this or less of this or is there any difference
or are we just holding onto the things we don't have anymore

Sometimes time doesn't heal
No not at all
Just stand still
While we fall
In or out of love again I doubt I'm gonna win you back
When you got eyes like that
It won't let me in
Always looking out

Lot of people spend their time just floating
We were victims together but lonely
You got hungry eyes that just can't look forward
Can't give them enough but we just can't start over
Building with bent nails we're
falling but holding, I don't wanna take up anymore of your time
Time time time

Sometimes time doesn't heal
No not all
Just stand still
While we fall
In or out of love again I doubt I'm gonna win you back
When you got eyes like that
It won't let me in
Always looking out
Always lookin

i made larger my favorite part of this song
music can find a place in any time of your life
i can hear a song and it can take me back
right to that moment
or verbalize a moment in my life
"we were victims together but lonely"
and "bulding with bent nails we're falling but holding"
are my two favorite lines in this song.
reminds me of a time i recently went through
and jack did a great job summing that up.
love me some jj.

and my favorite kings of leon song is


lyrics to "milk"
salty leave, salty leave


tell me the one about the friend you knew,
and the last good night that we toasted too.

salty leave,

stay for me, stay for me

we drank wine in the matinee
and the spotlight showed what i chased away

stay for me

she saw my comb over, her hourglass body
she had problems with drinking milk
and being school tardy
she'll loan you her toothbrush
she'll bartend you party

kill me, kill me

i called i called, but i cant get through
said he's on his own, but his own is you

kill me

she saw my comb over, her hourglass body
she had problems with drinking milk
and being school tardy
she'll loan you her toothbrush
she'll bartend you party

she saw my comb over, her hourglass body
she had problems with drinking milk
and being school tardy
she'll loan you her toothbrush
she'll bartend you party

this song doesn't necessarily take me back
to a certain time
but it is so beautifully sad and raw
and emotional and at times upbeat
i love how it starts out slow
gets faster and slows back down
i take it as a breakup
salty leave = tears
stay for me = asking to stay
"we drank wine in the matinee
and the spotlight showed
what i chased away"
i take as he was drinking to hide
his sadness and the spotlight
from the movie showed his sadness
gosh i love this song.
and i love this band.
if you haven't listened before
or are only familiar with their big hit
"use somebody"
i highly recommend listening to their other songs

now these two are from my time.
but nothing compares to the music
that my mother's generation
got to grow up with.
lucky dogs.
i love janis joplin
her version of summertime with jimi hendrix

sends chills over my body
i also love "ball and chain"

her eccentric voice and style were amazing
too bad she died so young.
she and jimi both died at 27
apparently there are several
performers who passed at 27
27 Club

my mother graduated high school in 75.
she is probably going to kill me for posting the date
but just think of all the awesome music
she got to listen to
and not only listen to
because i can listen to it
but she went to a ton of concerts
and this is HER music from HER generation.
i will be embarrassed when my children
ask what kind of music i listen to
and i say oh honey
some kayne west and jay-z
and britney spears.
i am already ashamed at how crappy music is now
i mean i do have jack and kings
but come on...they pale in comparison
sorry guys, but the truth is the truth!

i guess i will just keep praying that
jack johnson and kings of leon
will keep producing albums
and i can continue to jam out to the oldies
and appreciate it for what its worth.

peace. love. and thank goodness for iTunes!
hope everyone has a happy start to their week :)

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home